U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Compensation Research & Program Development
Keenan M. Dworak-Fisher
- "Intra-Metropolitan Shifts in Labor Demand and the Adjustment of Local Markets," Journal of Urban Economics, vol. 55, no. 3, May 2004.
- Working Papers by Keenan M. Dworak-Fisher
Maury B. Gittleman
- " Pay for Performance and Compensation Inequality: Evidence from the ECEC," with Brooks Pierce, ILR Review, 68.1 (2015): 28-52.
- " Inheritances and the distribution of wealth or whatever happened to the great inheritance boom?," with Edward N. Wolff, The Journal of Economic Inequality, 12.4 (2014): 439-468.
- " How Prevalent is Performance-Related Pay in the United States? Current Incidence and Recent Trends," with Brooks Pierce, National Institute Economic Review , 226.1 (2013): R4-R16.
- " An improved measure of inter-industry pay differentials," with Brooks Pierce, Journal of Economic and Social Measurement , 38.3 (2013): 229-242.
- "Compensation for State and Local Government Workers," with Brooks Pierce, Journal of Economic Perspectives, Winter 2012.
- "Medicaid and Wealth: A Re-Examination," Berkeley Electronic Journal of Economic Analysis and Policy, 2011.
- "Inter-Industry Wage Differentials, Job Content and Unobserved Ability," with Brooks Pierce, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, January 2011.
- "New Estimates of Union Wage Effects," with Brooks Pierce, Economics Letters, May 2007.
- "Racial and Ethnic Differences in Wealth," with Edward N. Wolff, in Marlene Kim, ed., Race and Economic Opportunity in the Twenty-First Century, Routledge, 2007.
- "The Vintage Effect in TFP Growth: An Analysis of the Age Structure of Capital," with Thijsten Raa and Edward N. Wolff, Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, September 2006.
- "Maternal Employment and Adolescent Risky Behavior," with Alison Aughinbaugh, Journal of Health Economics, July 2004.
- "Racial Differences in Patterns of Wealth Accumulation," with Edward N. Wolff, Journal of Human Resources, Winter 2004.
- "Is There a Wage Payoff to Innovative Work Practices?," with Michael J. Handel, Industrial Relations, January 2004.
- "Who Uses Computers and In What Ways: Effects on the Earnings Distribution", with Michael J. Handel, in Derek C. Jones, ed., New Economy Handbook, 2003.
- "Does Money Matter? A Comparison of the Effect of Income on Child Development in the United States and Great Britain", with Alison Aughinbaugh, Journal of Human Resources, Spring 2003.
- "Declining Caseloads: What Do the Dynamics of Welfare Participation Reveal?," Industrial Relations, October 2001.
- "R&D Activity and Economic Development," with Edward N. Wolff, International Journal of Public Administration, 2001.
- "Correlates of Training: An Analysis Using Both Employer And Employee Characteristics," with Harley Frazis and Mary Joyce, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, April 2000.
- "Have Family Income Mobility Patterns Changed?", with Mary Joyce, Demography, August 1999.
- "Time Limits on Welfare Receipt," Contemporary Economic Policy, April 1999.
- "Cause e conseguenze della disuguaglianza salariale nei paesi Ocse (Causes and Consequences of Earnings Inequality in OECD Countries)", in English with an Italian abstract, with Laura Bardone and Mark Keese, Lavoro e Relazioni Industriali -N. 2 LUG.-DIC. 1998.
- "Research and Development Activity and Economic Development," with Edward N. Wolff, in Kuotsai Tom Liou, ed., Handbook of Economic Development, Marcel Dekker, Inc., 1998.
- "'Flexible' Workplace Practices: Evidence from a Nationally-Representative Survey," with Michael Horrigan and Mary Joyce, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, October 1998.
- "Formal and Informal Training: Evidence from a Matched Employee-Employer Survey," with Harley Frazis, Michael Horrigan and Mary Joyce, in Gary D. Libecap, ed., Advances in the Study of Entrepreneurship, Innovation, and Economic Growth, volume 9, 1997.
- "Earnings Mobility and Long-Run Inequality: An Analysis Using Matched CPS Data," with Mary Joyce, Industrial Relations, April 1996.
- "Changes in the Structure and Quality of Jobs in the United States: Effects by Race and Gender, 1973-1990," with David R. Howell, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, April 1995.
- "R&D Activity and Cross-Country Growth Comparisons," with Edward N. Wolff, Cambridge Journal of Economics, February 1995.
- "The Role of Education in Productivity Convergence: Does Higher Education Matter?", with Edward N. Wolff, in A. Szirmai, B. van Ark and D. Pilat, eds., Explaining Economic Growth, Elsevier Science Publishers, 1993.
- "Introduction," with Edward N. Wolff, in Dimitri B. Papadimitriou and Edward N. Wolff, eds., Poverty and Prosperity in the U.S.A. in the Late Twentieth Century (New York: Macmillan), 1993.
- "International Comparisons of Inter-Industry Wage Differentials," with Edward N. Wolff, Review of Income and Wealth, September 1993.
Thomas G. Moehrle
- "Empirical analysis of the rational expectation-life cycle hypothesis: a panel data study," American Council on Consumer Interest, 1993.
- "Working wives revisited," co-authored with E. Jacobs and S. Shipp. Paper was presented at the 1989 Southern Economic Association Meetings in Orlando, FL.
- "The evolution of compensation in a changing economy," Report of the American Workforce, Chapter 2, U.S. Department of Labor, 2001.
- BLS Publications and Working Papers by Thomas G. Moehrle
- "Your Cheatin Heart: Joint Production, Joint Consumption and the Likelihood of Extramarital Sex, with Taggert J. Brooks, Applied Economics Letters, 2013, 20:272-5.
- ":Does Contracting with Owner Operators Lead to Worse Safety Outcomes for U.S. Motor Carriers? Evidence from the Motor Carrier Management Information System," with Brydey Redmon, Accident Analysis and Prevention, 2012, 45: 654-59.
- "Wage Inequality of U.S. Truck Drivers," with Steffen Habermalz, Labour, 2011, 25(2): 268-285.
- "Trucking," with Stephen V. Burks in G.Giuliano, L. Hoel and M. Meyers (eds.) Intermodal Freight Transportation, ENO Foundation, 2011.
- "Wages and Working Conditions of Truck Drivers at the Ports of Long Beach and Los Angeles," Journal of the Transportation Research Forum, 2010, 49(1): 23-36.
- "Inter-county Spillovers in California's Ports and Roads Infrastructure: The Impact on Retail Trade," with Jeffrey Cohen, Letters in Spatial and Resource Sciences, 2009, 2(2-3): 77-84.
- "Ports and Highways Infrastructure: An Analysis of Intra- and Inter-state Spillovers," with Jeffrey Cohen, International Regional Science Review, 2008, 31(3): 257-274.
- "Using Behavioral Economic Field Experiments at a Firm: the Context and Design of the Truckers and Turnover Project," , with Stephen V. Burks, Jeffrey Carpenter, Lorenz Götte, Aldo Rustichini, and Kay Porter, in Stefan Bender, Julia Lane, Kathryn Shaw, Fredrik Andersson, and Till Von Wachter (eds.) The Analysis of Firms and Employees: Quantitative and Qualitative Approaches, NBER, University of Chicago Press, 2008.
- "Strategic Contracts versus Multiple Plants: Location under Sequential Entry," with R. Rothschild and John Heywood, The Manchester School, 2007, 75(2): 151-173.
," An Analysis of Post-Deregulation Wages in U.S. Freight Transportation," with S. Habermalz, International Journal of Transport Economics, 2007, 34(1): 133-148.
- "Port Labor: The Effects of Competition, Devolution, Labor Reform, Trade and Technology," (with Lindy Olsson and Christine Mulcahy), in P. Ioannou, ed. Intelligent Freight Transportation, CRC Press, 2007.
- "The Decreasing Influence of Domestic Market Structure on Racial Earnings Differentials: 1984-1996," with Jacqueline Agesa, Contemporary Economic Policy, 2006, 24(2): 224-236.
- "A Time Series Analysis of Wages in Deregulated Industries," with Taggert Brooks and John Bitzan, Journal of Applied Economics, 2006, 9(1): 105-118.
- "Truck Drivers in the Age of Information: Transformation without Gain," with Dale Belman and Francine Lafontaine, in Dale Belman and Chelsea White, eds. Trucking in the Age of Information, Ashgate Press, 2006, pp. 183-212.
- "Market Power and Racial Earnings: A Quantile Regression Approach," with Jacqueline Agesa, in John Heywood and James Peoples, eds. Product Market Segmentation and Labor Market Treatment, 2006, SUNY Press, pp. 15-38.
- Sailors of the Concrete Sea: A Portrait of Truck Drivers Work and Lives, with Dale Belman and Taggert J. Brooks, Michigan State University Press, 2005.
- "Are Truck Drivers Underpaid?," with Dale Belman, Applied Economics Letters, 2005, 12(1): 13-18.
- "Hours of Sleep and Fatigue in Motor Carriage," with Lindy Olsson and Justin Hentges, Contemporary Economic Policy, 2005, 23(4): 615-624.
- "The Balance Between Private and For-Hire Carriage and Trends in the Use of Large Trucks (1977 to 1997)," with Stephen V. Burks and Josephine Myers-Kuykindall, Journal of the Transportation Research Forum, 2004, 43(2):159-171.
- "Trends in the Use of Large Trucks by Truckload and Less-Than-Truckload Motor Carriers in the 1990s," with Stephen V. Burks and Josephine Myers-Kuykindall, Journal of the Transportation Research Forum, 2004, 43(2): 173-187.
- "Industry Racial Employment by Skill Level: The Effects of Market Structure and Racial Wage Gaps," with Jacqueline Agesa, Journal of Labor Research, 2004, 25(2): 315-28.
- "Delivered Pricing and Merger with Demand Constraints," with John Heywood and Robert Rothschild, Economic Inquiry, 2004, 42(1): 49-59.
- "An Econometric Analysis of the Impact of Technology on the Worklives of Truck Drivers," with Dale Belman, In James Peoples and Wayne Talley, eds. Transportation Labor Issues and Regulatory Reform, Research in Transportation Economics, 2004, 10: 57-78.
- "The Pricing of Thrift Conversions," with Russell Kashian, Journal of Applied Business Research, 2003, 19(4): 25-31.
- "Wages and Hours of Truck Drivers: An Analysis Across Data Sets," with Joshua Willmert, Journal of the Transportation Research Forum, 2003, 57(3): 167-177.
- "How Did Truck Drivers Jobs Become So Bad? The Effects of Deregulation, Technology, De-unionization and Human Capital," with Dale Belman, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 2001.
- "Delivered Pricing and the Influence of Merger on Excluded Rivals," with John Heywood and Robert Rothschild, Southern Economics Journal, 2001, 67: 672-684.
- "Examining Industry Effects for Truck Drivers," Review of Industrial Organization, 2001, 18: 91-103.
- "Deregulation and Trucking Wages: A Time Series Phenomenon, A Time Series Approach," with Taggert J. Brooks, in B. Starr McMullen, ed. Research In Transportation Economics, volume 6, 2001, Amsterdam, JAI Press.
- "Safety among Over-the-Road Truck Drivers," with Emily Williams, Journal of the Transportation Research Forum , 2001, 40: 105-115.
- "The Effects of Deregulation, De-unionization, Technology, and Human Capital on the Work and Work Lives of Truck Drivers," with Dale Belman, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, Extra Issue March 2001, v.54, iss. 2, pp. 502-24.
- "Assessing the Determinants of Driver Safety," with Emily Williams, Journal of Transportation and Statistics, April 2000, 3(1): 69-79.
- "Spatial Price Discrimination and the Merger Paradox," with John Heywood and Robert Rothschild, Regional Science and Urban Economics, 2000, 30: 491-506.
- "Trends in Banking Employment in the 1990s: A Regional Analysis," with Russell Kashian, Growth and Change, Spring 1998, 29(2): 146-156.
- " Policy makers will need a way to update bundled payments that reflects highly skewed spending growth of various care episodes.," with Allison B Rosen, Alexander J. Ryu, , David M. Cutler, and Michael E. Chernew Health Affairs , 32.5 (2013): 944-951.
- " Price Indexes for Prescription Drugs: a Review of the Issues," with Anna Aizorbe. , The Oxford Handbook of the Economics of the Biopharmaceutical Industry (2012).
- " Changing mix of medical care services: stylized facts and implications for price indexes.," with Anna Aizorbe. Health Affairs , Journal of Health Economics:30.3 (2011): 568-574..
- " Emerging labor market trends and workplace safety and health," with John Ruser. , Labor in the New Economy (2010). 425-453
- "Product Market Competition and Human Resource Practices: An Analysis of the Retail Food Industry" (with E. Davis, M. Freedman, J. Lane, B. McCall, T. Park) Industrial Relations, Vol. 48, No. 2, April 2009
- "Supermarket Human Resource Practices and Competition from Mass Merchandisers." with Elizabeth E. Davis, Matthew Freedman, Julia Lane, Brian McCall, Timothy Park, American Journal of Agricultural Economics 88 (5), December 2006, pp. 12891295.
- Working Papers by Nicole Nestoriak
- " Does the year-end decline in injury risk reflect reporting error?," American Journal of Industrial Medicine , (2015).
- " Pay for Performance and Compensation Inequality: Evidence from the ECEC," with Maury Gittleman, ILR Review, 68.1 (2015): 28-52.
- " How Prevalent is Performance-Related Pay in the United States? Current Incidence and Recent Trends," with Maury Gittleman, National Institute Economic Review , 226.1 (2013): R4-R16.
- " An improved measure of inter-industry pay differentials," with Maury Gittleman, Journal of Economic and Social Measurement , 38.3 (2013): 229-242.
- "Compensation for State and Local Government Workers," with Maury Gittleman, Journal of Economic Perspectives, Winter 2012.
- "Inter-Industry Wage Differentials, Job Content and Unobserved Ability," with Maury Gittleman, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, January 2011.
- "New Estimates of Union Wage Effects," with Maury Gittleman, Economics Letters, May 2007.
- Firmwide Versus Establishment-Specific Labor Market Practices," with David S. Kaplan, The Review of Economics and Statistics, 87(3), August 2005.
- "Nondiscrimination Rules and the Distribution of Fringe Benefits," with William J. Carrington and Kristin McCue, Journal of Labor Economics, 20(2) part 2, April 2002, S5-S33.
- "Compensation Inequality," Quarterly Journal of Economics, 116(4), November 2001, pp. 1493-1525.
- "Using Establishment Size to Measure the Impact of Title VII and Affirmative Action," with William J. Carrington and Kristin McCue, Journal of Human Resources, 35(3), Summer 2000, pp. 503-523.
- "Constructing Interarea Compensation Cost Indexes with Data from Multiple Surveys," with John Ruser and Kim Zieschang, in Alan Heston and Robert Lipsey, eds., International and Interarea Comparisons of Income, Output, and Prices, University of Chicago Press, 1999.
- "Pure vs. Mixed Commodity Bundling," with Harold Winter, Review of Industrial Organization, 11(6), December 1996, pp. 811-821, reprinted in George Norman, ed., The Economics of Price Discrimination, Edward Elgar, 1999.
- "The Role of Employer/Employee Interactions in Labor Market Cycles: Evidence from the Self-Employed," with William J. Carrington and Kristin McCue, Journal of Labor Economics, 14(4), October 1996, pp. 571-601.
- "Public Sector Employment and Black/White Wage Convergence," with William J. Carrington and Kristin McCue, Industrial and Labor Relations Review, 49(3), April 1996, pp. 456-471.
- "Changes in the Structure of Wages," with Finis Welch, in Dale W. Jorgenson and Eric A. Hanushek (eds.), Improving America's Schools: The Role of Incentives, National Academy Press; Washington, DC, 1996.
- "Dimensions of Inequality in Labor Income", with Finis Welch, in J. Bergstrand, T. Cosimano, J. Houck and R. Sheehan (eds.), The Changing Distribution of Income in an Open U.S. Economy, Elsevier Science; Amsterdam, 1994.
- "Wage Inequality and the Rise in Returns to Skill," with Chinhui Juhn and Kevin M. Murphy, Journal of Political Economy, 101(3), June 1993, pp. 410-442.
- "Accounting for the Slowdown in Black-White Wage Convergence," with Chinhui Juhn and Kevin M. Murphy, in Marvin Kosters, (ed.), Workers and Their Wages: Changing Patterns in the United States, American Enterprise Institute; Washington, DC, 1991.
- "The Many Facets of Skill", with others, Report of the American Workforce, US Department of Labor, 1999.
- BLS Publications by Brooks Pierce
Last Modified Date: March 30, 2015