U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Table of Contents
- What is the Bureau of Labor Statistics?
- How do I read or interpret an index?
- What is the Consumer Price Index?
- How is the Consumer Price Index used?
- Is the Consumer Price Index a cost-of-living index?
- What goods and services does the Consumer Price Index cover?
- Which index is the "Official Consumer Price Index (CPI)" reported in the media?
- Can the Consumer Price Index for individual areas be used to compare living costs among the areas?
- Is the Consumer Price Index the best measure of inflation?
- How do I use the Consumer Price Index for escalating contracts?
- Do you have breakdowns of the Employer Costs for Employee Compensation by state?
- Does the Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages /ES-202 program provide information on the number of employees in particular companies?
- What is a benchmark of payroll survey estimates from the Current Employment Statistics survey?
- What types of hours and earnings data are available from the Current Employment Statistics survey?
- What are the causes of benchmark revisions of payroll survey estimates?
- How do strikes affect Current Employment Statistics estimates?
- Can I get a list of the companies in the samples of the Bureau of Labor Statistics surveys?
- What is the Producer Price Index?
- How are Producer Price Indexes used?
- How does the Producer Price Index differ from the Consumer Price Index?
- How are labor hours calculated for productivity measures?
- What are some uses of Export and Import Price Indexes?
- Does the Bureau of Labor Statistics have employment projections for specific occupations?
- How are "wages" defined by the Occupational Employment Statistics survey?
- What types of benefit data are published by the Employee Benefits Survey?
- What are the fastest growing occupations?
- How are the labor force components (i.e., civilian noninstitutional population, civilian labor force, employed, unemployed, and unemployment rate) defined?
- What are "household" and "establishment" data, and how do they differ?
- What is seasonal adjustment?