U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
Injuries, Illnesses, and Fatalities
Notice to users of the annual average employment published with injury and illness data from the Survey of Occupational Injuries and Illnesses, 2003
The annual average employment values published with data from the 2003 Survey of Occupational Injuries and Illnesses in December 2004 were derived primarily from the BLS-Quarterly Census
of Employment and Wages (QCEW) program. The derived annual average employment for those published industries that include agricultural production activities in NAICS subsectors 111 and
112 were not adjusted to exclude estimates of employment in farms with fewer than 11 employees. We have prepared a table (http://www.bls.gov/iif/agnotice.pdf) that presents revised annual average employment data for both national and State level published tables.
These values are equal to annual average employment previously published minus the estimate of agriculture production employment in establishments with fewer than 11 employees.
The affected industries are presented in the list below.
Aggregate industry levels presenting annual average employment for total private industry and natural
resources and mining are not listed because they were correctly reduced at the time of publication.
- Total all industries, including State and local government (applies only to those States that publish State and local government estimates)
- Total private industry-goods producing
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (NAICS sector 11)
- Crop Production (NAICS subsector 111)
- Oilseed and grain farming (NAICS industry group 1111)
- Vegetable and melon farming (NAICS industry group 1112)
- Fruit and tree nut farming (NAICS industry group 1113)
- Greenhouse, nursery, and floriculture production (NAICS industry group 1114)
- Other crop farming (NAICS industry group 1119)
- Animal production (NAICS subsector 112)
- Cattle ranching and farming (NAICS industry group 1121)
- Beef cattle ranching and farming, including feedlots (NAICS industry 11211)
- Dairy cattle and milk production (NAICS industry 11212)
- Hog and pig farming (NAICS industry group 1122)
- Poultry and egg production (NAICS industry group 1123)
NOTE: These changes do not affect the published injury and illness data from the Survey of Occupational Injuries and Illnesses for 2003.
Last Modified Date: June 14, 2005