U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
- "A Prototype BEA/BLS Industry-Level Production Account for the United States," (PDF 1,717K, Tables XLS), by Susan Fleck, Steven Rosenthal, Matthew Russell, Erich H. Strassner, and Lisa Usher. November 2012. Presented at the 2nd World KLEMS Conference in August 2012. A summary of this paper was published as a Research Spotlight in the November 2012 edition of the Survey of Current Business (PDF).
- "Nonmanufacturing industry contributions to multifactor productivity, 19872006," (PDF 1,000K), by Michael J. Harper, Bhavani Khandrika, Randal Kinoshita, and Steven Rosenthal, Monthly Labor Review, June 2010, pp. 16-31.
- "Effects of imported intermediate inputs on productivity,"(PDF 2,067K), by Lucy P. Eldridge and Michael J. Harper, Monthly Labor Review, June 2010, pp. 3-15.
- "Integrated GDP-Productivity Accounts," (PDF), by Michael J. Harper, Brent R. Moulton, Steven Rosenthal, and David B. Wasshausen. December 2008. Presented at the American Economic Association Meetings in January 2009.
- "Preliminary Estimate of Multifactor Productivity Growth" (PDF), by Peter B. Meyer and Michael J. Harper, Monthly Labor Review, June 2005, pp. 32-43.
An error in the multifactor productivity growth rate for 2003 appeared in the original article but it has been corrected in both the electronic and paper versions as of July 8th. Those who downloaded the earlier version should download the corrected version.
- "Multifactor productivity change in the air transportation industry" (PDF), by John Duke and Victor Torres, Monthly Labor Review, March 2005, pp.32-45.
- "Multifactor Productivity Measures for Three-digit SIC Manufacturing Industries, 1990-99," (PDF) Report 956, January 2002.
- "Multifactor productivity trends in manufacturing industries, 1987-96," (PDF), by Ziaul Z. Ahmed and Patricia S. Wilder, Monthly Labor Review, June 2001, pp.3-11.
- Archive of MLR Articles on Productivity and Technology.
- "Data sources and methods for measuring multifactor productivity in the utility services industries," (PDF).
- "The BLS Productivity Measurement Program," (PDF), by Edwin R. Dean and Michael J. Harper, Discussion Paper presented at the Conference on Research in Income and Wealth: New Directions in Productivity Research, March 20-21, 1998.
- "Hours at Work Survey, 2000," (PDF), Brief description of the Bureau of Labor Statistics Hours at Work Survey for 2000.
- "Productivity Measurement with Changing-Weight Indexes of Outputs and Inputs," (PDF), by Edwin R. Dean, Michael J. Harper, and Mark K. Sherwood. Discussion paper presented at the OECD Expert Workshop on Productivity: International Comparison and Measurement Issues, May 2-3, 1996.
- "Measurement of Productivity Growth in U.S. Manufacturing," (PDF), by William Gullickson, Monthly Labor Review, July 1995, pp. 13-27.
- "Difficulties in the Measurement of Service Outputs," (PDF 1,417K) by Mark Sherwood, Monthly Labor Review, March 1994, pp. 11-19.
- "Hours at Work: A New Base for BLS Productivity Statistics," (PDF) by Mary Jablonski, Kent Kunze, and Phyllis Flohr Otto, Monthly Labor Review, February 1990, pp. 17-24.
- Labor Composition and U. S. Productivity Growth, 1948-90, BLS Bulletin 2426, December 1993. Changes in the educational attainment of the work force and their impact on MFP are measured.
- The Impact of Research and Development on Productivity Growth, BLS Bulletin 2331, 1989. Presents annual measures of the stock of research and development and its contribution to productivity growth in the nonfarm business sector.
- Trends in Multifactor Productivity, 1948-81, BLS Bulletin 2178, 1983. Presents BLS annual indexes of MFP and output per unit of capital services for private business, private nonfarm business, and manufacturing.