June 30, 2000
In March 2000, employer costs for employee compensation for civilian workers in the United States averaged $21.16 per hour worked.
Wages and salaries, which averaged $15.36, accounted for approximately 73 percent of these costs, while benefits, which averaged $5.80, accounted for the remaining 27 percent.
Legally required benefits were $1.67 per hour on average, representing the largest non-wage employer cost. Employer costs for paid leave benefits were $1.42 per hour, insurance benefits $1.36 per hour, and retirement and savings benefits 77 cents per hour.
These data are a product of the BLS Employment Cost Trends program. Additional information is available from "Employer Costs for Employee Compensation, March 2000," news release USDL 00-186. Civilian workers include private industry and State and local government workers.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Average compensation $21.16 per hour on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2000/jun/wk4/art05.htm (visited December 20, 2014).
Housing: before, during, and after the Great Recession
looks at consumer expenditures on household items, employment in residential construction, prices for household items, and injuries in occupations involved in building and maintaining our homes.
Women veterans in the labor force examines the demographic, employment, and unemployment characteristics of women veterans.
BLS Statistics by Occupation provides an overview of occupational employment and wages with an emphasis on STEM jobs and occupational data by typical entry-level education required.