June 20, 2002
In March 2002, employer costs for employee compensation for civilian workers in the United States averaged $23.15 per hour worked.
Wages and salaries, which averaged $16.76, accounted for 72.4 percent of these costs, while benefits, which averaged $6.39, accounted for the remaining 27.6 percent.
Legally required benefits were $1.80 per hour on average, representing the largest non-wage employer cost. Employer costs for insurance benefits were $1.61 per hour, paid leave benefits were $1.59 per hour, and retirement and savings benefits 80 cents per hour.
These data are a product of the BLS Employment Cost Trends program. Additional information is available from "Employer Costs for Employee Compensation, March 2002," news release USDL 02-346. Civilian workers include private industry and State and local government workers.
Note: The publication schedule for the "Employer Costs for Employee Compensation" news release will change this year.
Future publications will be issued on a quarterly basis, with data collected for the pay period including the 12th day of the survey months of March, June, September, and December. Publications will be issued approximately three months after the month of reference. Data will be available on a quarterly basis beginning with June 2002 data.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Average compensation $23.15 per hour in March on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2002/jun/wk3/art04.htm (visited December 22, 2014).
Housing: before, during, and after the Great Recession
looks at consumer expenditures on household items, employment in residential construction, prices for household items, and injuries in occupations involved in building and maintaining our homes.
Women veterans in the labor force examines the demographic, employment, and unemployment characteristics of women veterans.
BLS Statistics by Occupation provides an overview of occupational employment and wages with an emphasis on STEM jobs and occupational data by typical entry-level education required.