June 13, 2013
Employer costs for employee compensation averaged $31.09 per hour worked in March 2013. Wages and salaries averaged $21.50 per hour worked and accounted for 69.1 percent of these costs, while benefits averaged $9.59 and accounted for the remaining 30.9 percent.
|Compensation component||Civilian workers|
|Total, civilian workers||State and local government||Private industry|
|Total, private industry||Management,|
professional, and related
|Sales and office||Service|
Wages and salaries
Total employer compensation costs per hour worked averaged $42.12 for state and local government workers and $29.13 for private industry workers in March 2013. Among the occupation groups in private industry, management, professional, and related occupations had the highest total employer compensation costs at $51.28 per hour worked.
The total private industry benefit costs of $8.66 per hour worked included costs for paid leave that averaged $2.01 per hour worked (6.9 percent of total compensation); for supplemental pay, 81 cents (2.8 percent); for insurance benefits, $2.40 (8.2 percent); for retirement and savings, $1.06 (3.6 percent); and for legally required benefits, $2.39 (8.2 percent).
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Editor's Desk, Total employer costs for employee compensation $31.09 per hour worked in March 2013 on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2013/ted_20130613.htm (visited September 15, 2014).
Housing: before, during, and after the Great Recession
looks at consumer expenditures on household items, employment in residential construction, prices for household items, and injuries in occupations involved in building and maintaining our homes.
Women veterans in the labor force examines the demographic, employment, and unemployment characteristics of women veterans.
BLS Statistics by Occupation provides an overview of occupational employment and wages with an emphasis on STEM jobs and occupational data by typical entry-level education required.