March 13, 2014
Nationwide, private industry employers spent an average of $29.63 per hour worked for total employee compensation in December 2013. Wages and salaries averaged $20.76 per hour worked (and accounted for 70.1 percent of total employee compensation costs), while total benefits costs averaged $8.87 (accounting for the remaining 29.9 percent).
|Compensation component||United States||Northeast||West||Midwest||South|
Retirement and savings
Legally required benefits
Wages and salaries
Note: The sum of individual items may not equal totals due to rounding.
Total benefits costs consist of paid leave benefits (which averaged $2.05 per hour worked), supplemental pay (which averaged 85 cents per hour worked), insurance benefits ($2.45), retirement and savings ($1.10), and legally required benefits ($2.43).
By region, total employee compensation costs per hour worked in December 2013 ranged from $26.93 in the South to $33.87 in the Northeast. Wages and salaries ranged from the South's $19.20 to the Northeast's $23.25. Total benefits costs were $7.73 and $10.61, respectively, in these two regions.
Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, The Economics Daily, Employer cost for employee compensation $29.63 per hour, December 2013 on the Internet at http://www.bls.gov/opub/ted/2014/ted_20140313.htm (visited November 24, 2014).
Housing: before, during, and after the Great Recession
looks at consumer expenditures on household items, employment in residential construction, prices for household items, and injuries in occupations involved in building and maintaining our homes.
Women veterans in the labor force examines the demographic, employment, and unemployment characteristics of women veterans.
BLS Statistics by Occupation provides an overview of occupational employment and wages with an emphasis on STEM jobs and occupational data by typical entry-level education required.