U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
American Time Use Survey
Instructions for downloading ATUS microdata files
- Using your mouse, right click on one of the data
file links (do not click on the data files themselves).
- In the box that appears on your screen, select "Save target as..."
- In the dialogue box that appears on your screen, save the zip file
to your computer.
- When you open the zip file, you will find a data file (*.DAT) and
computer programs in SAS (*.SAS), SPSS (*.SPS), and Stata (*.DO). The
SAS, SPSS, and Stata programs included with each data file
have variable and value labels.
- If you have SAS, SPSS, or Stata software, open the corresponding
program, edit the infile (in SAS), file (in SPSS) or insheet (in Stata)
statement to reference the data file on your computer, and run the
- If you do not have SAS, SPSS, or Stata software, read the data file
into the program of your choice. All values in the data files are in
CSV-format (comma-separated values) and variable names are listed on the
Last Modified Date: November 20, 2008